Certificate Program of Supervision in Psychotherapy for Mental Health Professionals
2019-10-08 - 2020-02-28
OPQ Accreditation: RA03087-19 (66 CE hours)
The Program offers 66 Credits PLUS an optional additional 10 Credits
In addition to the Program hours, Candidates may claim an additional 10 CE Credits allocated by the OPQ for independent reading
DURATION 66 Hours Theory 30 hours and Practicum 36 Hours
DATES: CLICK HERE for schedule
Theory is offered on Tuesdays 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM from October 8th to December 10th, 2019
Candidates begin the Practicum in November and terminate by February 28, 2020. Practicum is scheduled by the individual Candidate in collaboration with the Supervisor and Supervisees
Registration is limited.
The program is geared toward experienced clinicians who are ready to expand their practice to an educational realm.
Please see specific eligibility criteria at the end of this description.
Candidates will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis upon review of the submitted application form.
The Argyle Institute is proud to offer a unique learning opportunity for mental health professionals who wish to deepen their knowledge and skill in Clinical Supervision. This program, the first of its kind in Montreal, fulfills the OPQ requirements for qualifying as a Supervisor of Professionals aspiring to qualify for the psychotherapy permit.
It is best suited to Candidates with familiarity in the Psychodynamic and/or Systemic modality. Candidates will have the opportunity to expand their skills into an educational dimension. Learning is offered in the cognitive, affective and skill-set domains.
The Program has an independent learning component. Classes provide opportunity for application and synthesis of learning. Practicum offers the opportunity to do clinical supervision under the guidance of a qualified Supervisor.
A Course Manual provides theoretical and clinical learning objectives. Candidate are guided in independent learning using the course textbook and prescribed learning activities. Practicum consists of clinical supervision of two Supervisees under the supervision of a qualified Supervisor. Clinical conferences support the Candidate through the process and provide clinical tools to structure the supervisory encounter.
The goal of the Program is to offer the Candidate an experience of what occurs in a supervisory encounter, to provide the Candidate a sound theoretical base, and to provide experiential learning both in the classroom and in clinical practice. Upon completion of the Program, the Graduate will be prepared cognitively, affectively and with the skillset for a competent supervisory practice.
Program Learning Materials
Candidates are required to purchase the following textbook:
Fundamentals of Clinical Supervision, 6th Edition (2019)
Bernard, Janine M. and Goodyear, Rodney K.
Boston: Pearson 2019
(Available form Caversham Booksellers and Amazon)
Additional readings may be assigned and will be on reserve in the library.
At completion of the program, the candidate will be able to do the following.
- Conceptualize Clinical Supervision as a distinct educational process within the practice of psychotherapy.
- Based on the appraisal of various models of supervision, begin to design a personally relevant model of supervision and clinical tools for one’s own supervision practice.
- Conceptualize theoretical models and basic competencies of supervision in the psycho-dynamic and systemic models of therapy.
- Execute a supervisory practice that is based on sound theoretical foundation and adheres to the legal-ethical standards of the Professional Order of Psychologists in Quebec.
- Begin to construct a personal philosophy of Clinical Supervision.
- Appraise the institutional context in which Supervisor occurs and the personal goodness-of-fit for one’s own supervisory practice.
Registration is limited. To be eligible, Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Attest to a minimum of 4 years of clinical experience in the practice of psychotherapy
- Attest to a minimum of 4 years of clinical work in either psychodynamic or systemic modality.
- Complete and submit an application form.
Please forward your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuition: $2500.00 Supervision $600 Textbook Approx. $200
Optional payment plan for Tuition:
Option A – 1 Cheque
$2500 dated October 1st 2019
Option B – 2 Cheques
$1500 dated October 1st 2019
$1000 dated November 19th 2019
Option C – 4 Cheques
$1000 dated October 1st 2019
$500 dated October 15th 2019
$500 dated November 5th 2019
$500 dated November 19th 2019
$600 payable to the supervisor as practicum progresses ($100/ session)